Athletes in Action: TUFF Camp in Holland, Michigan

I'm scrambling through my brain to try and come up with the words to describe this past week in a half I spent at TUFF Camp in Holland, Michigan. TUFF camp is held by Athletes in Action, a Christian sports ministry to reach athletes all over the world. So, what is TUFF camp? Training you farther and faster. Running camp. When I flew out to Michigan, I met up with the other college counselors and coaches to prepare to lead a group of 60 high school runners through a week of two-a-day runs, competitions, clinics and ..just experiencing running with a deeper meaning--a relationship with Christ.

As I flew out of sunny California to the small town--Holland, I reflected over the current running injury I have right now and what camp would be like as a counselor, since I've gone to a TUFF camp before in Mammoth Lakes just a few years ago. Held at Hope College, our first night there was spent getting to know the other counselors and talking about what the week would be like: crazy busy. Every morning started with a shakeout run, food, followed with a clinic, food, another clinic, run again, food, have a competition, testimonies given by the counselors, and small group time.

The week was packed full of so many experiences, like hanging out with Nick Willis, the current Bronze metalist in the 1500. But more than running and competitions, there were some pretty impactful testimonies given that spoke volumes. And, at the end of the week, a few kids came to accept Christ as their Savior. The camp wasn't just about running, but about the hope we have in Christ and how much He values us. Our value needs to be found in him. Whether we win or loose races does not change how much we are worth. Running is something we do to glorify God.

This camp taught me a lot. Though I was a counselor, I learned once again that sometimes I fail to put all my joy in the Lord. I feel disappointed or let down because I have a stress reaction (not a runner's favorite injury). When I should be rejoicing that it's getting better, I get caught up thinking about not being ready for season, or the fact that I spend most of my time trying to cross train when I would rather be running. It is always cool to find that when we think that we are trying to teach others something, we find in return that we were the ones being taught all along.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27
"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."

No comments: